Tuesday 13 May 2008

The end of another season

Today marks the decision to sell my car... It is a sad day for me, and it was a difficult decision to make but it needed to be made, and sooner rather than later. The trouble is that the car must have been made at the end of a shift of a Friday afternoon when no one wanted to be at work anymore, and they did a rotten job on putting the little chor (slang word in South Africa for a small runabout) together. Since I bought the car there have been problems, starting with a faulty indicator switch which took the dealership 6 months to diagnose, and only solved the problem when I threw my toys out the cot and demanded that they replace the switch. It seemed to settle down then, but since then I have had problems with the central locking, the fuel injectors, water pumps, the electronics have lost the plot, and now I guess it is time to say good bye to what has to be my favourite car. This means that we will now become a one car family, and that means that there will be some inconvenience. There are the down sides to it, but there are some benefits. We can save the money that we make from selling the chor and earn interest so that there is a nice deposit for a new car next year, but I think that is the only one I can think of now. At least the other good thing is that if the car does finally give up the ghost, then at least I won't be in trouble with a baby and a broken car. But, it is still a heart breaking think that the little car that has till now faithfully taken me where I need to go, when I need to go will no longer really be part of my life. So, this is not a Happy Day kind of post.


I guess the thing is, it's the first car that I have bought with out the help of my parents and I have a lot of memories in the car, just trips taken, and I know that that shouldn't make the difference to whether you sell a car or not, and that I shouldn't be so attached to a material thing, but I still love the thing, and it has been a comfortable chariot with a great sound system, smooth ride and it certainly sorted through the creature comforts. But enough making myself more miserable... the up side is that at the end of the day, it is becoming an unreliable option and rather than have a car that ends up costing thousands, cut the losses and move on.

No comments: