Friday 23 November 2007

Squealers and other news

 Amazing news! Mr and Mrs Blue now have another little hatchling squealing in the nest box. Two days ago Paul said to me that there was another bird in the box and I said I hadn't heard anything and he said that it was a new baby or Mrs Blue had lost it and was squealing like a baby. Then yesterday I heard a noise, and thought it was just the normal baby, till of course I heard the normal baby, very noisy little one that. So there you have it... two babies. Mrs Blue just had to try and out do me!

Tuesday's antenatal class was interesting, we had a midwife, Annie, telling us about different forms of pain relief for a drug free birth, some of which seemed very interesting, and nice, if you could think of something being nice in between contractions which could cripple, and probably will. She did have some hints for the husbands though, don't massage your wife during a contraction, you could lose body parts. I must say that it was a lot less distressing listening to her talking than to Gill, our normal midwife, who keeps telling us about episiotomies, and vividly reminding us of how the skin will stretch as the baby's head crowns. I shudder thinking about it now.

Today, I am 30 weeks into this pregnancy, and I am starting to get somewhat nervous. It is only 10 weeks until full term. Today this month we will be in East London, and then it will be Christmas, and then it will be the end of January and I will be going into labour. Imagine that. 2 months really, with a little more than a week over and above that. My mother asked yesterday what we still need for the baby, and I said I have no idea, and told her what we already have, and that was about all I could do. We still don't want to go overboard with nappies and the like, because you could get a brand and then the poor child has an allergic reaction to it, and then you have to go and try exchange them for another brand, and also I have no idea how big this baby is going to be, for all I know it won't even fit into newborn sized nappies.

We had our end of year function today, and went to a restaurant called Fabulous, which has a Moroccan theme, and it was quite a lot of fun. We had to take our shoes off before entering the restaurant, wash our hands with rose water and sit on bean bags around tables and they had platters in the middle of the tables for us to pick from etc. It was nice because you didn't have a set meal which would stuff you, and being pregnant, you try not to get too stuffed. I was a little disappointed though, I was really expecting more from the food, more flavoursome I imagine. You always think it will be, seeing it on TV on the cooking programs, and they use so much to enhance the flavours, and then you get the food. Maybe it was just because of the meals that we were having and I should give the place another chance. Apparently the upstairs has normal tables you can sit at on chairs, and you select your meal off a menu. But, apart from feeling very uncomfortable sitting on a bean bag, with a pregnant tummy, it was fun. They even have hubbly-bubblies for the patrons to puff on, which I avoided. They were lighting them up, as I was leaving, and I took Omesh with me, the other pregnant fairy in our office.

Last night also had it's fair share of thrills and spills. I was almost awake as I was starting to have a bad case of heart burn, it literally felt like someone was dropping acid in my throat with an eye-dropper, quite a sensation, and I heard a loud bang, which my brain managed to tell me, through all the fog, was a gun shot. I got up, to go to the loo and get something to drink, and saw that it was about 2am. That was quite hectic though. It sounded very close and not very fun when you are a pregnant fairy home alone, with your husband at least a 2 hour flight and some drive time away from you. But, there was only one bang and then there were a few dogs barking, but nothing after that, so I went back to sleep and didn't wake again till the morning.

Well, that is about it all for now. Till next time.

No comments: