Tuesday 15 May 2007

While browsing the news this morning

I was browsing the Business Day website this morning (15 May 2007) and an article on stressed employees caught my eye. I know that I have been feeling a little stressed for the last while and decided to have a brief glance at it. And as all of my avid readers (I wish) know, I like to find out what is behind things and how we can make them better. A lot of my friends will vouch for it, so you never know, I may need therapy!

According to this article, between March 2005 and March 2006 45 out of every 1000 employees took time off work for psychological reasons. This has apparently risen to 65 in a thousand from March 2006 to March 2007. That is a scary thought. They also mentioned that the average number of days employees take off for these reasons is about 4,6 days per year, which is double what they would take for other illness. This is a hectic statistic.

In my attempt to find some way to ease the stress, I stumbled on some tips. They included keeping a positive attitude, accepting that there are things that you can’t control, be assertive and not aggressive, learn relaxation techniques (imagine all of us doing yoga in the training room), regular exercise, eating healthy-well balanced meals, getting lost of rest and sleep, don’t depend on alcohol or drugs to relax you, look for social support (so chat with friends) and time management.

But, I know that a lot of you can’t get around to the exercise routines, due to the busy home life, but there are ways and means of getting some exercise in. Like, I’m going to repeat some of the cliché sayings *cringe*, take the stairs, park far away from the mall entrance so you can get some walk in. How about taking 20 minutes out in the afternoon, to walk around the block when you get home? Think about it. It could be quality time that you get to spend with your spouse or friends, and chat (another tip from above) and just get some fresh air. All you need is a 3 times a week walk. I’m not asking for a marathon.


Ok, so I am already working on the positive attitude (Happy Days) and working on the exercise, Paul makes sure of it.

No comments: