Wednesday 2 January 2008

A New Year… 2008

It’s been a while since I last posted, and a bit has happened. We went to East London for Christmas, and I met a lot of extended family that I didn’t know I had, believe me there were LOTS of people, most of them from Australia. The time away was fun, and we got to stay on a horse farm, with a pig farm on one side and a chicken farm on the other, so depending on wind direction the smells were… interesting. The travelling in the car on hot African summer days was interesting, with the heat getting to both Cygnet and I, but we both survived, and the return trip was less “stressful” than the trip down. The area we were staying in on the coast is called the Wild Coast, and believe me it is stunning. The beaches are smooth and when the tide is out you have to walk for ages before you get to dip your toes into the sea, and it seemed that every time we were at the beach the tide was out, so I got to do a lot of walking, nothing strenuous though. The most beautiful of beaches we visited was the Kei River Mouth beach, where the Great Kei river meets the sea. The beach was stunning, and there was so much beach, and the river was so wide that water sports like wind surfing and kite surfing would be perfect. There was a girl on the water in her kayak as well, so that would be another “thing to do”. It was also not packed with holiday makers as it was quite out the way, and it was just really relaxing. The sun was very hot though, and I managed to get through the whole holiday without getting sun burnt which was awesome, especially considering how much time was spent in the sun.

I must admit that it was good to be home again though, knowing that it is getting close to the time of the birth of our baby, and the bumpy trip must have helped get the little on to drop. Although today I don’t think it has stopped squirming for more than about 5 minutes. And I have been sitting quietly most of the day. I must admit though, it is good to be in the air conditioning at the office, it has been very hot and humid, which has made for an uncomfortable past few days. Although, having said that, it hasn’t been unbearable. I think that there are a lot of women out there who have suffered more in the heat than I have.

Yesterday we went to collect the chest of drawers that my brother has kindly given us, and it is getting very exciting now, knowing that there is a “changing” table for the baby now, and knowing that soon I will be changing a very little person’s nappies on the top of it, with a whole bunch of very cute clothes in the drawers and a whole new life taking place. Somehow having the drawers there seemed to bring it more into the light. I’m so excited!

No comments: